Here are some facts on Rare Disease that you may not know:
- A Rare Disease is life-threatening or chronically debilitating disease which is of such low prevalence that special combined efforts are needed to address them, such as Myoclonic-Astatic Epilepsy (Doose Syndrome) and Gaucher’s Disease.
- Approximately 7000 different Rare Diseases exist, with countless awaiting researchers to identify. Bertrand can't wait for a researcher to identify with him. ;)
- Today, Rare Diseases are not being invested in by pharmaceutical companies because of small patient populations and lack of financial incentives to Pharmaceutical and Biotech companies.
- Pharmaceutical companies have only developed treatments for 200 of the 7000 rare diseases.
- Approximately 75% of Rare Diseases affect children (22.5 million in the US).
- 50% of the identified Rare Diseases have no foundations, support groups or community support for the families
Let’s never give up Hope! It’s In our Genes!