Done! Bertrand's requirements for hospitalization in November are now fulfilled! But, the poor nurse vaccinating Bertrand experienced my special-needs-mommy-warped sense of humor.
- nurse: "Due to the seasonal flu vaccine shortage, we only have vaccines with Thimerosal available. Is that alright?"
- me: "That's the mercury, right?"
- nurse: "Yes."
- me: "Hahaha! He already has autism and seizures. Mercury is the *least* of his worries. Go to town."
Pending. They said to try back in another week. The test is supposed to take from 6-8 weeks, and is very rare, so I guess we'll get results back closer to 8 weeks. At least from a customer service perspective, GeneDx is the best genetic testing lab I've dealt with. In the future, if we ever have to do prenatal testing, I want it done through them.
Attending! November 14th the Epilepsy Association of Utah Presents: Educational Conference 2009. Admission is free. It will be at East High School (840 South 1300 East, Salt Lake City, UT 84102) from 9 am - 1 pm. Registration begins at 8:00 am.
Topics will include:
- Basics of Epilepsy
- How to participate in the IEP team
- Women and Epilepsy
- Handling caregivers stress - Q & A Session
- Dravet and Febrile Research - New answers
- Disability Laws how do they affect me?
- And Much More
Attending! November 18th and 19th the Carmen B. Pingree Center Presents: Parent Conference Fall 2009. Cost is $25 an individual or $30 per couple. It will be at the Carmen B. Pingree Center (780 South Guardsman Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84108) from 8:30 am - 3 pm. Registration begins at 8:00 am.
Matthew has to teach on November 19th (the only day I want to attend if Bertrand is out of the hospital), so my fabulous friend Lynn offered to babysit so I could attend! Thanks, Lynn!
Sessions I will attend include:
- SpecialCare: Budgeting for everyday needs, as well as, long term financial security.
- Understanding Individual Education Plans (IEPs): How and why schools use them and how to obtain one for your child.
- Information and advice on enrolling your child in special education services with the Salt Lake City School District.
Successful! At 45 minutes this was Bertrand's longest session ever! Bertrand can usually only make 20-30 minutes before his frustration becomes insurmountable. Today he displayed his ever-increasing attention span and his improved motor control. I am so proud of my son!
Done! I still don't quite believe it, but we finally signed our refinance papers today. It only took 10 months, 6 loan officers, countless phone calls and emails, not to mention a few tears of anger/frustration on my part. But, it's done! All of that effort was worth the $400-500 extra we'll save each month! It'll all happily go to KetoCal. :) It still amazes me that we own a home with a yard for so little more than what we paid for our tiny apartment with a gravel patch in Atlanta.
Today has been a good day. :)